In an effort to dispose of equipment and other materials in an environmentally responsible manner, the ITS Department is involved in the following recycling activities:
- Organizing an annual E-Recycle Day each May for the proper disposal of equipment, owned personally by members of the Detroit Mercy community, to an EPA approved recycler.
- Establishing institutional recycling of all unusable equipment to an EPA approved recycler.
- Ensuring that all ITS printer cartridges are returned to be properly recycled.
- Recycling any excess paper from student computer lab printers.
- Transporting hazardous material, such as projection bulbs and UPS batteries, to a recycling facility for proper disposal.
The ITS Department has also implemented equipment, policies, and procedures to reflect a conscious choice about green computing:
- Energy Star products are purchased as the University standard for desktops and laptops.
- LCD monitors, reducing display energy by about 60% compared with CRT monitors, have become the University standard.
- TitanNet University computers are shut down at midnight each night to conserve energy.
- Display monitors are set to automatically turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity. Computers are set to automatically sleep after one hour of inactivity.
- Dimmed lighting in the Quad Commons lab
- Virtualizing servers as available reducing hardware and power needs
- Move toward centralized printing where possible
- Eliminated many administrative and academic paper reports
- Created the environment that eliminated paper timecards
- Created the environment that provided for direct deposit pay
- Created the environment where announcements can be made electronically instead of on paper or mailings
- Created the environment that provided for paperless adminissions application process
- Created the environment that eliminated grade mailers, paper bills and other common mailings
- Created the environment that eliminated printed purchase requisitions
If you have other suggestions, please send those along to email@example.com